Saturday, September 14, 2013

Googly Eyes: Minion Nails!!

Today's nail art is one I'm stupidly proud of!! I've had this idea for a while now and I'm actually pretty excited with the way it turned out. MINION NAILS!!


I've been on this crazy Minions (from Despicable Me) kick lately, I think they're the most adorable thing in the world, so when I was playing around with googly eyes, inspiration struck and I just knew it was time to give it a go!!


This had a couple of different polishes, so I'll try to break it down easily;

1. Start off with your favourite base coat (mine's OPI Nail Envy).

2.  Then I added 2 coats of Zoya's Pippa for the yellow. 

3. Once the yellow was mostly dry I added the jeans with none other
 than Color Show's Styled Out, which is a great polish that's 
supposed to mimic jeans texture as you can see here.


 4. With a striping brush I outlined the overalls and added the glasses band using 
(what has become my go-to black) NYC Black Creme Lace

5. Now comes the fun part, I dabbed some clear nail polish where I wanted the eyes
 to be and then with the help of some tweezers added the googly eyes. 

6. I let them dry a bit, and once the eyes were in place, I alternated between a 
striping brush and a dotting tool to make the different mouths. 
The pink is Zoya's Shelby and the white is BK Matte White


7. For my thumb, it took a few tries to get it centered, but I added in the black 
with a striping brush to make the Gru Logo. 

8. Top it off with a few good coats of Revlon's Quick Dry to hold everything in! 

Although I noticed that there were some air bubbles because usually I put topcoat over studs/rhinestones/etc to hold them down, but since these googly eyes were so tall, I gave up on that. The googly eyes gave the Minions a fun comical look and stayed in place quite well for the amount of time I wore them - despite my taking a lot of restraint to not keep picking at them.



But I just love, love, LOVE how it came out. All my classmates kept commenting on it, even the simple Gru Logo!

And here's a picture of my nails with my latest iPhone game obsession - Minion Rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment